Sunday, September 7, 2014

Juice Boxes Mini Quilt Tutorial

A couple months ago I participated in the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt swap on Instagram (#schnitzelandboominiquiltswap). There were so many participants and things got a little hectic for the amazing swap mamas. So I volunteered to make an angel mini if they needed one, and they did. The lady they assigned me loves all the same things that I do. Sarah Jane, Lizzy House, Cluck Cluck Sew, etc. The first thing I did was pull out all my hoarded scraps from all my favorite lines/designers and decided to make her a mini quilt using a Cluck Cluck Sew pattern called Juice Boxes (find the original quilt patter HERE).


With her permission, I give you the Juice Box Mini tutorial. This tutorial is great for extra charm squares. So you will need 12- 5" charms for your backgrounds and 12- 1.5" squares for your centers.


From each of your charm squares cut the four following rectangles, 1.25" x 4", 1.5" x 1.25", 1.5" x 2.25", and 2.25" x 4". See pic above for a visual. Arrange your pieces how you would like them to look.I fussy cut my centers and a few of my backgrounds, so I had to lay them out exactly how I wanted them to make sure that my centers were spread out how I wanted them.


Once you find a good layout, start by sewing your three center pieces together. Press your seems open. Then add your two side pieces to your center piece. Continue for all 12 blocks.


Arrange into a three by four pattern and sew your rows together. Alternate pressing your seems in different directions for each row and sew each of your rows together.


Baste, Quilt, Bind, and give to someone special! Or keep it for yourself...I won't judge. ;)

Thanks to Allison (Cluck Cluck Sew) for all the great patterns she designs and puts together for us quilters enjoy! Her hard work is much appreciated!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, thank you for taking the time to write this tutorial.
    If I'm not mistaken, the finished size of a block is 3.5 in. Do you trim down the seam allowances once it's sewn to reduce bulk?

    ReplyDelete